Swedish music festival cancels next year's event amid rape reports

Following one reported rape and several sexual assaults at this year's Bråvalla music festival, there will be no festival in 2018, the organisers said on Saturday.
One of Sweden's largest music festivals, Bråvalla has been arranged outside the eastern Swedish town Norrköping every summer for the past five years, and this Saturday, July 1st, is the final day of the 2017 edition.
 
 
But the popular festival will not return in 2018 due to concerns over several cases of sexual assault, the organizing company FKP Scorpio said in a press release on Saturday.
 
One person was reportedly raped during a Håkan Hellström concert. One case of sexual coercion has been reported, as well as several cases of sexual assault.
 
"Words cannot describe how incredibly sad we are about this, and we most seriously regret and condemn this. This is not f-ing okay. We do not accept this at our festival," a festival representative wrote.
 
The organizers have not announced if or when the festival will return.
 
Taking place near Norrköping in eastern Sweden, the Bråvalla festival was hit by a spate of reported rapes and sexual assault in 2016.
 
The British band Mumford and Sons, which headlined the 2016 festival, said they would boycott Bråvalla until they had had assurances from the organizers and police they were doing something to combat the problems of sexual violence.
 
 
Meanwhile, a debate about sexual molestation raged in Sweden in 2016 after it emerged that groups of boys had been groping girls at the We Are STHLM youth festival for two years running.
Swedish music festival cancels next year's event amid rape reports Swedish music festival cancels next year's event amid rape reports Reviewed by Alexander Von Stern on 08:07:00 Rating: 5